Friday, November 21, 2008

Not Dazzled



WARNING!! WARNING!! THIS BLOG CONTAINS TWILIGHT MOVIE SPOILERS! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!!


So, I don't have a clue where to start this blog. I have so many thoughts and irritations. I wrote a blog last May entitled An Obsession, about Twilight and my love for the books. In August after the 4th and final book came out i wrote a blog entitled, Unsatisfied, it was about my disappointment in the finale of Twilight legacy. In all honesty after reading the 4th book i actually lost my passion for Twilight, i don't talk about it nearly as much as i used to. I've read Twilight 12 times, I loved that book but after Breaking Dawn it just wasn't the same. So, naturally, i have been concerned about the movie but I've tried to not read anything about it, I tried to not watch the trailers a zillion, or any interviews with Stephenie Meyer or the other actors. I wanted to go into the movie with no Expectations.


I bought tickets about 2 weeks ago to the midnight showing. I walked into the theater last night, and waited for a solid 2 1/2 hours. Klarice and i had a good chat about our personality colors and our birth order ( a new book i got) and how where you are born in your family can effect who you are. Interesting. Michelle tried to take a nap cuz she had to get up for basketball practice at 5am. The other girls chatted and texted. It was a great time!

Finally the previews started (they are my favorite! Coming Soon are the worst 2 words in the English language). There are some super fun movies coming out soon! Then it began, there was Bella, there was charlie, there was Mike, Eric, Jessica, Lauren, and then.. there was the Cullens.



Needless to say, I did not like the movie. I felt i went into the movie with an open and objective mind. In the very beginning the acting was not good! I had a hard time not laughing out loud hen Edward catches her scent for the first time, he looks like he might vomit, he's supposed to want to jump her and kill her and suck blood, not throw up.. As the movie went on I do think the acting improved. I can deal with bad acting in a movie. That's not my biggest problem.

Stephenie Meyer was way too involved in the making of this movie. I know that it was important to her that they stick the book. I would agree. It's important to stay as close to the real thing as possible. With that, they tried too hard to fit EVERYTHING in the movie. It moved so quickly, it jumped from scene to scene to scene and then.. it was over. Some of the cinematography killed me. The scenes were really choppy. Again not my biggest problem with the movie.

Before book 4, as i have mentioned, i was obsessed with Twilight, i have all sorts of things in my journal of icons and pictures, and quotes from the books. I was sickly obsessed. I know several people who haven't read the book and they don't understand how i could be so addicted to a book, a fictional book, a book about a vampire. My hope for this movie was, for people who have not read this book, to watch the movie and understand, maybe not completely, but gain a small idea of what it is that attracts all of us crazies to this story.


So what is it exactly that is so captivating? What is it that we love? Well obviously i don't speak for everyone but in my humble yet professional opinion its Edward. (DUH) We are able to read the very intimate details of how Bella and Edward fall dangerously and obsessively in love with one another. I have never read a book where you can literally feel the chemistry, the electricity from the characters as you can in Twilight. We become just as
dazzled by Edward as Bella does.

We watch Edward push himself far and beyond what he and any of his family member thought possible. He risks Bella's life every second they are together and yet we watch him get more daring by quickly brushing his hand down her cheek when he walked her to Gym, they have a moment where their faces are literally inches from each other, they hold hands and cuddle at the meadows, and finally the prolonged, hesitant and soft kiss, that was steamier than any kiss I've ever had (Not that that's saying much).

The movie shifts so quickly we miss those important details. Yes, we as avid and devoted fans of Twilight, know and understand how their lives become strangely entangled. They literally become so distressed just being away from each other, they can't function. What about those who don't know?? What about those who haven't read the book. They miss out on the whole Twilight experience.

Stephenie Meyer (and the whole kit and crew that comes with this movie) had such an opportunity to help the doubters and the unbelievers get a small glimpse of a world that is completely unreal but yet utterly addicting and full of passion.


I don't know.. i think they were so worried about making money and putting the movie out while the 'Twilight-Bug' was still hot that they screwed up something that could have dazzled everyone!


I know you're wondering, was it worth it? For sure, I was able to have my own opinion before it was tainted by what others could have told me!


2 outta 5 waffles!

6 comments:

bonfufu said...

we didn't see it yet, planing on Sunday when the girls are both off work.
I understand what you are trying to say, as with most books that become movies, they loose alot of the story, or change things all together.
We are still going into it, like you positive and excited. i will post again after I see it!

Michelle said...

i haven't seen it and i didn't plan on seeing it either until i only had to pay one single dollar for it.

cause even though i loved the book ... every book after that ruined it for me.

i even made plans to babysit my sweet korver so that i didn't have to go with my friends.that's how much i didn't want to see it. i'm glad i didn't waste my time now.

Lemme said...

you're funny...2 waffles!?!?! ouch...

bonfufu said...

ok we saw it. good movie, missing stuff I agree. but when it was over, we were like, ok where is the next movie?
there are things that when they played out i was mad. I mean, totally critical about. not gonna spoil for those who didnt see yet, but.....WTF with the house? Serously, you mean to tell me in all of Washington state they couldn't find a better Cullen house? That bit my buttons you know what i mean....grr.

Michelle said...

tag, you're it amber! and by that, i mean i tagged you on my blog.

Amy Jo said...

ok soooo yes, the movie is disappointing but what it comes down to is the fact that we all have such different pictures in our head of how everything looks and happens that when they try to generalize it for everyone, it just messes it up. but may i say that i wanted to jump on emmett cullen the whole entire time? yeah... he was a good pick =]