Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Pet Peeve of the Day!

Oh heck where to start! Real quick for a little background information, I work at a chiropractic office. I'm a massage therapist there. 3 days a week i work for J. Adam Cleverley, i take patients back put them on therapies, do spot work, answer phones, blah blah blah. Our receptionist has been there a little over a year. She is a super fun sweet (when she wants to be) person. We rarely hangout out side of work cuz out lifestyles are so different but we always have a good time and i consider her a good friend.

This last weekend she and her boyfriend (who she lives with) broke up (technically I'm not supposed to know that). She told pretty much everyone that comes into the office but she hasn't told me, or Adam. She has no problem talking about it to patients or the mail lady, just not me. So whatever. Not a big deal. I think she is afraid that i will say "I told you so." Not gonna lie, i might think it but i wouldn't say it. Adam and I both told her not to move in with him, that it would turn out badly. Maybe that's why we "don't know."

So the last 2 days she's been really down and grumpy, which i don't blame her (don't bring it to work PLEASE). Yesterday i went to Seagull book ( i just go the wonderful calling of Sunday School Teacher) while i was wondering around i saw a book called THE RACE. It's just a short little poem about a boy who runs a race, a good little motivational pick me up story. The thought popped into my head, huh, i should get that for Albany, maybe it would help make her feel better. It was only $2.99 so i bought it and on my way to work today i stopped and picked up some peanut M&M's and a Mountain Dew, put it all in a cute little bag and wrote her a little note to cheer her up. Well it worked a little. She was a little more cheerful and positive.

Later that afternoon, my brother was coming in. I warned her that he would be at least 15 minutes late, they are always late, love them to death but that is just something they struggle with, i could careless. he was scheduled at 4:45 and at 4:55 he wasn't there yet, so i called him and he told me he was 3 miles away. Very promptly at 5pm, Albany locked the door and my brother still wasn't there yet, and Dr. Nelson still had patients coming in. I said to her,
"When my brother gets here, I'm letting him in."
"Fine, but don't you think Adam wants to get home too? I just think it's rude." She answered right back to me.
"It will be OK Albany" was all i said, I wanted to say, Let me go ask Adam what he thinks. But i didn't.

Since i knew Dr. N. still had patients and my brother was still coming, i unlocked the door when she was in the back. (HAHA) When my brother got there i took him back and put him on the roller table and chatted with him for a few minutes. Adam was still with patients, had my brother been on time, he still would have had to wait. (Not to justify his actions. That's just the truth) While we were chatting Albany left and Adam came in to adjust him. While he was in there i went out and talked to Steph, Dr. N's receptionist. She told me that Albany was really mad at me because i unlocked the door. She said that i always let my family come in when ever they want. (my family RARELY comes in, and when they do, i tell them to make an appointment). Steph said back to Albany, "Why don't you just ask Amber to stay since she made the appointment and it's her brother?" Albany replied, "She always throws a fit when i ask her stay."

Ok, really? Really? First of all, I'm ALWAYS at the office. I'm there more than i am anywhere else. Yesterday, i was done at 4. i could have left the office at 4pm. Guess what time i left... 6pm! I stayed there by my own free will, i wanted to be. There's not many places I'd rather be than at the office. I've written that on my blog, not directly but hinted at it! 5th from the bottom, I Usually: can be found at work not working. I could go on forever about my irritation on this subject for an entire hour but i won't.

Here's my problem, I knew she was struggling and having a hard time. What did i do? I went out of my way and did something nice for her. It was only $10 but the principle is still the same. I should know better. One of the things that i dislike(hate is a strong word) about myself is that I'm a nice person. Don't get me wrong, i can be a total mean awful person too, but i try to make it a point to be a nice and happy person. Well shame on me! In the end I'm the one who gets screwed! Maybe that's something i can work on. Can you find a book that helps you become a meaner person? Maybe i should write one! =)

4 comments:

Michelle said...

what a wench.
things like that make me not want to be a nice person either, but seriously amber, it's in our blood. hard to escape.

Cindy said...

I call these "Poke your eye out with a hot french fry day"!

G'ma Nasus said...

You ARE sweet! Please don't change. We love you just the way you are (& God does too.)

It is so hard not to lower ourselves to the level of others - Satan wants us to - the temptation is so strong.

Buck UP! KILL her with "kindness". Actually it is the worst thing you can do to people like that because they just don't know how to handle anything but being "ugly".

Eventually she will learn by your example (probably when she's 50 years old.) You will have done a good thing.

Love ya lots!!!

Lemme said...

wow...ditto gma...hahahaha...that's funny