Thursday, February 12, 2009

John V

When John Tucker V was born, i was 8 years old. I was so angry that he was born. I was the baby! I was the favorite, the cute one. Nobody was going to take that from me. NO ONE! Especially some dumb little baby! I hated kids because John was born and took my place. He was the only grandchild for 6 years.

It's funny how we grow up! It didn't take long for me to get over myself and love my little nephew. He was so cute! He has grown up to be one of my favorite people and a very amazing man.

One night during the summer before his Sr. year he came over to my house. My parents were in California so i had the place to myself. I was sitting in my dad's big comfy chair reading Twilight for the 4th time. He plopped down on the couch and picked up Harry Potter 6. We sat there reading not saying a word to each other for a good hour and half. Then one of us finally broke the silence and we jumped into a conversation about a mission and the military. It was then that i learned his love for the gospel and his desire to serve his Father in Heaven, but also, his deep love of our country and his willing to fight for our freedom. It was one of my favorite nights with John V.

Over the last year, we have become so much closer. He'd come over to my house and we'd watch The Office together, we laugh and talk. I would make fun of him about Star Wars and Halo and he would make fun of me about tennis and all the dumb TV shows i watched! (Though he started to like Grey's Anatomy. He wouldn't admit it but he did!)

He decided to serve a mission. What a great example he is to his other 20 cousins. He has such a strong testimony of the gospel, he will help so many people find the truth and bring them to Christ. He will be a great missionary! He has made his entire family so proud.

John left on his mission January 31st. I miss him! I knew i would but WOW! I miss him so much! He was so helpful, he'd run out to my car whenever i needed, He helped me pack and unpack all my stuff. He is so amazing! I loved it when he would come in and say, "Amber, I saw the funniest thing on YOUTUBE, you gotta check this out." or "Amber, I heard about this lets look it up online." We would search for ring tones, videos, and pictures. We would play rock band, guitar hero and even battleship.

I am so grateful John was born. Even though it took me a little bit to warm up to him. He has made me so proud. I'm so grateful that he's not just my cute little nephew but he has become a very cherished friend who i miss dearly. He has strengthen my testimony and my love of Christ. John is one of my many tender mercies that the Lord has blessed me with! I am grateful!

3 comments:

The 4 of Us said...

I didn't realize he had left already! So sad but so happy! THANKS FOR BLOGGING!!

Michelle said...

he'll be back before you know it ...

glad to see you're posting again.

Lemme said...

okay...i just now read this for the first time and i might tear up...thanks!